Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Dreary South


If anything, the forecast's been downgraded and it now looks like the entire weekend will be a wash-out.  I'm wearing my Patagonia water-resistant hiking pants and not one but two raincoats over two Capilene t-shirts (one short- and one long-sleeved), with a baseball cap under a hood to keep my head dry. I took my ensemble outside for a little test walk in the pouring rain this morning and remained dry.  I may not look glamorous and may not be entirely waterproof, but it's the best I can do.  We'll see how this works out.

The irony here is that over the past two years, I've spent a total of 20 days at outdoor music festivals in the notoriously rainy Pacific Northwest and not only didn't get rained on but had nothing but sunny skies.  Now, here we are in the so-called Sun Belt facing a forecast of up to 4 inches of rain during this weekend's Shaky Knees festival.

I could look at this as a test run for the rain that I will inevitably encounter sooner of later if I keep going up to Seattle and Portland for music fests.  On the positive side, the weather will probably keep the crowds down during this weekend's festival.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to say just pretend you're in Seattle, but I knew you have had nothing but blue skies when you've visited there. Meanwhile, it's the perfect day for staying indoors and studying groundwater resources, glaciation and climate change. Look forward to your updates/observations on fb. Have fun. I know you will.

    ReplyDelete