Wednesday, September 3, 2014

DakhaBrakha


In retrospective, a lot of the Bumershoot performances were great and it was easily the most enjoyable festival for me yet.  Sure, Pickwick put on the best set I've ever heard from them, and Kishi Bashi was, as always, incredible.  I discovered new bands like Iska Dhaaf and Yuna, and the Latino bands (Mexican Institute of Sound and Bomba Estereo) more than lived up to my expectations. Julianna Barwick was every bit as soothing and relaxing as Negativland were perplexing and disorienting, Jonathan Richman was witty and warm and funny, and Real Estate provided a sweet confection of a dessert to end the festival.

But what really stands out in my mind and what I will probably always remember when I look back at Bumbershoot 2014, my last Bumbershoot festival, is the mind-blowing performance by the Ukraine's DakhaBrakha,  "Lark's Tongues in Aspic as reimagined by Dirty Projectors as a near-eastern folk opera," for those of you who insist on having labels to put on things.  


No comments:

Post a Comment