Thursday, August 20, 2015

Tamaryn's Cranekiss

Tmaryn at Bumbershoot 2013
New Zealand's Tamaryn (who now lives in New York) has a new album coming out, Cranekiss.  No plans to tour yet, but if you were ever wondering what the MDW preferred sound sounds like,  listen to the title track of the new album.



As I've pointed out before, we create the music that we enjoy in our own heads, conjuring up the notes that we've just heard from our memory and combining them with the notes we anticipate in our imagination, and then running that whole mental construct through the filters of our preferences, associations, emotions, and so on.  No two people will ever experience the same recording the same, and you'll probably never experience the same song the same way twice.   

The gauzy dream-pop of artists like Tamaryn evoke in me sweet, sensual memories of songs heard in the past, and the music's predictable enough to allow me to abide comfortably in the waves of the composition, while at the same time novel enough to not let me get bored.  While dream-pop is one of my favorite genres to listen to in recorded form, it's also reliably pleasurable to hear performed live, although my preferences in live music are quite a bot more varied and eclectic than my recorded preferences.

Which is all to say, I hope Tamaryn decides to tour and visit Atlanta soon, but in the meantime, I'm content listening to these songs and anticipating the new album.   

No comments:

Post a Comment