Sunday, June 19, 2016

Late Night Tales



Another OCD nightmare:  Apparently, Late Night Tales and its predecessor Another Late Night are two long-running series of artist-curated compilation albums on the UK label Night Time Stories. The tracks on the albums are selected and mixed by the artists to create the ultimate late-night mix. Many of the albums end with a story track, read by English performers including Benedict Cumberbatch, Will Self, Brian Blessed and Patrick Moore. The series has been met with critical acclaim, with GQ Magazine praising Late Night Tales as "The Rolls Royce of compilations".

The series started in 2001 with Another Late Night compilations by Fila Brazillia and Howie B; the first Late Night Tales came out in 2003 with compilations by Nightmares on Wax, Sly & Robbie, and Jamiroquai.  A compilation by Iceland's Ólafur Arnalds will be released on June 24 and will be the 44th in the series.  Most of the releases include cover versions recorded by the artists.

You can purchase the compilation albums here or at Night Time Stories' Bandcamp page.  So far, I've got album Nos. 12 (Four  Tet), 13 (The Flaming Lips), 14 (Belle & Sebastian), 15 (Air), 24 (Midlake), 29 (Metronomy), 34 (Bonobo), 35 (Django Django), 37 (Franz Ferdinand), 39 (Jon Hopkins), 42 (Nils Frahm), and 43 (Sasha),  but the anal-compulsive OCDer in me can't tolerate the gaps in those numbers, and how long do you think it will be before I've collected all 44?

How long do you think it will be before I've listened to them all?  I still haven't gone through all of the Natural Snow Buildings LPs yet, and I've barely scratched the surface of Godspeed spin-off Set Fire To Flames.  I've got my listening work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment