Sunday, June 12, 2016

Waxahatchee at Aisle 5, Atlanta, June 10, 2016


Okay, so I've been busy these past couple of days, but at least right now, this minute, I have time to cover last Friday night's show at Aisle 5 by Waxahatchee, the music project of Alabama's Katie Crutchfield.  Katie's twin sister, Alison Crutchfield, who is also a member of Waxahatchee, opened, so this was basically An Evening With The Crutchfield Sisters. 


I didn't manage to get any pictures of her, but for some reason I was fascinated watching Alison's drummer, Katherine, perform.  She played a simple kit with just one snare, one floor tom, a bass drum and two cymbals, but she got a lot of sound from her simple kit and generally displayed a sort of natural, effortless rock 'n' roll glamour as she carried the set on her young shoulders.  I'm not taking anything away from Alison and I don't want my praise for one performer to be misconstrued as a put-down of other performers, but I'm as anxious to see Katherine perform again as I am either of the Crutchfield sisters. 


Katie put on a fine Waxahatchee show, with sister Alison on back-up vocals and guitar, and a bassist and drummer (not Katherine, alas!, but the young man filled in finely).  To be perfectly honest, I'm not that familiar with Waxahatchee's songs and I'm not going to pretend that I am now, but I was impressed that some of her songs brought several young women in the audience around me to tears.  

This doesn't seem to be one of her sadder songs:


For her encore, Katie took the stage alone, just her voice and an electric guitar, and performed several songs solo, reminding me a little of a somewhat poppier Julien Baker.


The affection her audience had for her was apparent, as was the rapport she had with the crowd.  In all, it was a more-than-pleasant evening, and a nice diversion from all of this work under which I'm so buried right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment