Saturday, August 6, 2016

The Grateful Dead


A colleague of mine is a Grateful Dead fan. He listens to the Dead almost singularly, and has recently traveled to California and Chicago to catch some of the recent Dead & Co. reunion shows.  A photo of their stage set is his computer wallpaper.

He thinks I don't like the Dead because I'm not a freak-flag waving Deadhead and because I don't post the Dead on this web site, but he couldn't be further from the truth.  I grew up on their music, and was an easily influenced teen when their seminal recordings Workingman's Dead and American Beauty came out, and I bought both LPs on vinyl during their first release.  Anthem of the Sun and Aoxomoxoa were our go-to soundtracks for our late-night psychedelic explorations.  I was there with 600,000 of my best friends at their infamous Watkins Glen concert. 

But he is correct that I don't self-identify as a Deadhead - didn't back then and don't now - but that doesn't mean that I didn't like them.  And he was right that I don't post their music here - until now, so he's now wrong about that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment