Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Well, This Is Disappointing . . .


The lineup for the 2017 Bumbershoot Festival on Labor Day weekend in Seattle was announced today.  Sure, there's some bands in there that I like, but I can count them on one hand and still have enough fingers left over to roll a joint, so let's just say I'm, um, disappointed.

The festival has gone the way of Coachella and booked a lot of EDM producers and DJs as well as various hip-hop acts,  It's what the kids seem to like nowadays and by gosh it apparently sells tickets, but it's not my thing.

I went to Bumbershoot all the way from Atlanta for the first time in 2011, and then returned in 2012, and 2013, and 2014.  The festival hit some hard economic times in 2015 and selected a decidedly B-list but affordable roster of bands, so I didn't bother to go that year.  Wasn't worth the travel.  Or the next year.  Or apparently this year either.

Another sign that I'm growing old: not only did I return to seeing live music sometime around 2010 when I was already far too old (56) to go, but now those acts that I saw back in 2010-2014 are already passe and old school, and the kids these days are moving on to new things, and now at 63 I'm not about to go out dancing all day to the latest electronic beats.  

I can't even seem to make the effort to keep my own blog up and running.

I'm losing my edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment