Thursday, February 6, 2020

Jehnny Beth

Jehnny Beth crowd walking during Savages performance at Shaky Knees, 2016
Yesterday may have seen the release of a new single by Brooklyn's Sharon Van Etten, but it also saw the release of Flower, the debut single from France's Jehnny Beth, the ferocious front-woman of the band Savages.

Both Savages and Beth have been uncharacteristically quiet for a while - according to the NY Times, Beth has performed live only twice since July 2017, but Jehnny Beth's debut solo album, To Love Is To Live, will be released in May. 


Flower is a slow-burner of a song, a sensuous synth-rock composition with a singalong verse in the middle.  It's quite unlike the angular post-punk of Savages, and shows the range of Beth's abilities.  "If I feel like I want to do a punk record again," Beth said, "I’ll probably do it with Savages.”

In February, she will host a TV talk show called Echoes With Jehnny Beth for a European channel that will expand the idea of her Beats 1 radio program, Start Making Sense, by prompting conversations between musical guests. In June, she will release a book of erotic short stories that began as a poetry collection before she made the rare decision to heed a critic.

“(PJ) Harvey told me my poetry was awful,” she said and laughed. “I like doing things that are scary,” she added. “Once you take a step, in spite of your fear, you realize: This is not how I imagined it would be, but it’s exactly how I want it to be.”


No comments:

Post a Comment