Thursday, December 13, 2012

RIP Ravi Shankar


And so it comes to pass: that waveform in the sea of life that we knew as "Ravi Shankar" has finally crashed onto the other shore.  On Tuesday, December 11, 2012, PAndit Ravi Shankar died at the age of 92 near his home in Encinitas, California.  

I never got to hear him in concert, but his music affected my life in many ways.  From his tutelage of George Harrison and its effect on The Beatles' music, and the consequent effect of that on me, to his de facto ambassadorship of so-called world beat music to the West, his artistry and creativity was an inspiration and a revelation.  There's been many a Sunday morning that started well for me with a morning raga, a tradition I never would have learned of if not for Pandit.

Gaté, gaté, paragaté, Pandit, parasamgaté.  

No comments:

Post a Comment